“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…” and you guys, I cannot freaking wait! You know how I said I’m one of the THOSE sprinkle-pumpkin-spice-everywhere girls? Well, Christmas is no better for me. This is the only time of year that I actually LOVE the snow and cold. This egg-free, peanut-free, and dairy-free peppermint syrup captures the cool freshness this season brings. And on those days, when you absolutely want to stay in your warm sweats, under your favourite blanket, and hug that hot cup of whatever, this peppermint syrup easily transforms your favourite hot beverage into a “Starbucks” cappuccino…annnd you didn’t even need to step outside. If that isn’t enough for you, this peppermint syrup is extremely easy to make: 3 ingredients and 5 minutes. That’s it.
We are setting up our Christmas tree in about an hour (See, I told you I’m that crazy person.), so I won’t hold back my recipe with any more rambling. All I ask, is that if you love this syrup as much as I do, you comment and share the jingle bells out of this recipe. Yep, I just said that…
Tips and Tricks:
- This syrup itself is allergen-friendly, but we can have dairy in our house, so the hot chocolate recipe is not. To make a vegan or dairy-free option, substitute the cocoa with your favourite dairy-free cocoa (Nativa Naturals) and the chocolate milk with chocolate soy, coconut, or almond milk.
- To ensure you don’t end of up with cocoa chunks in your hot chocolate, ensure your chocolate milk is hot and you only add enough at the bottom of your cup to make a paste with the cocoa. Stir thoroughly until creamy. Then add the rest of the chocolate milk.
- I added the cocoa to create a slightly bitter tasting hot chocolate. The Starbucks hot chocolate tastes slightly bitter to me. Also, when adding the peppermint syrup, the bitterness helps counter the added sugar so you don’t end up with a super sweet beverage.
- You can play around with amount of cocoa and syrup added to your hot chocolate. The recipe is merely suggestions.
- Our favourite allergy-friendly candy canes are the Spangler brand. You can order them online from Amazon.com.
Ready in 5 minutes with only 3 ingredients, this peppermint syrup easily transforms your favourite hot beverage into the perfect winter cappuccino!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure peppermint/mint extract
- 1 1/2 cups 1% chocolate milk
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp peppermint syrup
In a small saucepan, add water and sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring often to allow sugar to dissolve. Bring syrup to a light boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Add the peppermint extract and stir thoroughly.
Allow to cool to room temperature. Store in an air tight container. This syrup will last in the fridge for about a month.
In a microwave safe glass measuring cup, add the chocolate milk. Heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
In the bottom of your mug, add cocoa and 1 tbsp of hot chocolate milk. Stir until cocoa and milk are combined and a smooth and creamy consistency. Add remaining milk and stir until combined.
Add peppermint syrup to your milk mixture and stir. You can add less or more to suit your tastes.
Top with whipped cream, crushed candy cane, chocolate syrup, or sprinkles.
Serve immediately and enjoy!