I have a confession to make: I have been drinking these pumpkin spice lattes for 3. straight. weeks. Not bad right? Why should I feel ashamed? Did I mention that’s three lattes a day for 3 weeks? That’s…63 lattes…give or take…Fall beverages are my weakness, you guys. It’s so bad, I can’t even drink regular coffee now. It just tastes like hot water.
This past week, I have been dreaming up the perfect caramel latte. Since it’s raining, today was the perfect day to finally tackle my next coffeehouse creation. This syrup won’t disappoint. Smooth and sweet, this caramel syrup is the perfect blend of brown sugar and vanilla. I chose to use half brown sugar and half white sugar instead of the usual all white sugar for a few reasons:
- I love brown sugar.
- The brown sugar brings out a more caramel flavour than the white sugar alone.
Secondly, whenever I eat store-bought caramel sauce, I always find it has a stronger vanilla flavour that creates that smoothness I love about caramel. Vanilla also balances out the sweetness of the sugars which ensures your coffee isn’t overpowered by sugar. Finally, by adding salt, the flavours are enhanced to create an amazing caramel flavour that rivals any store-bought syrup (with artificial flavouring). The best part though? The syrup itself is allergy-friendly, vegan, and gluten-free.
Tips and Tricks:
- To create a vegan latte, substitute the milk with coconut milk.
- You can use fresh or leftover coffee to create your latte. Both work well!
- You are the barista so have fun with your latte! You can add more or less of the syrup to fit your palate. Add whipped cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, or drizzle chocolate for a more dessert-like beverage.
- This syrup will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge if stored in an air-tight container.
- Shake refrigerated syrup before adding to your coffee or latte. Contents may settle during storage.
A smooth and sweet caramel latte syrup that is easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot or cold coffee
- 1 cup milk or coconut milk
- 2 1/2-3 tbsp caramel syrup
- whipped cream or other topping
In a medium saucepan, add all of the ingredients. Stir.
Place the saucepan on the stove and turn element on to medium-high heat. Stir often to dissolve sugars.
Bring the syrup to a boil (It should take about 4-5 minutes.) Stir frequently.
Allow the syrup to boil for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
In a microwave safe dish, heat milk (about 1-2 minutes).
**If using cold coffee from your morning pot, microwave coffee and milk together for 2-3 minutes.
In a large coffee cup, add coffee and milk.
Add 2 1/2 to 3 tbsp of caramel syrup. You can play around with the amount of syrup you would prefer. I like a more noticeable caramel flavour. Stir.
Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!